Fuel Cost Comparison Chart


It's been a while since I posted and I apologize.  There hasn't been a lot of new things to report but I thought it was time to begin showing a monthly fuel consumption and comparison chart.  I have been thoroughly impressed with the fuel costs of our EV up to this point.  Fuel savings will definitely play a major role in the buying future of EVs.

The chart is fairly self explanatory but I'll go over it anyway.  Having purchased the vehicle on November 7, 2017, you can see the totals for the remainder of the year in the first three rows.  I've recorded the year and month of comparison and broken it down to kWhs for "Auto Only" and total kWhs for my house in the first four columns.  The next two columns account for the odometer reading at the end of each month and the total miles driven that month.  Column seven shows the average cost of gasoline for the month in Chickasha, OK.  Column eight tallies the cost of gasoline we would have experienced if I were still driving my Ford Taurus at 26 MPG.  Column nine tallies the cost of the electricity based on the miles driven for the month times the average kilowatt hour cost for the month.  It is based on the CKenergy geothermal rate for my house.  The last two columns indicate the monthly savings of electricity over gasoline and the savings per mile of driving.

For those of you into math calculations, you can take my chart numbers and compare to vehicles with varying MPG ratings to see how the Chevy Bolt stacks up to other vehicles.  There is great fuel savings potential with the EV.  However, if the purchase price doesn't come down and battery capacity and charging infrastructure doesn't improve, EVs will have a difficult time gaining a foothold in the market.  That's the economic viewpoint, not the environmental viewpoint that many folks share.  The value of the EV will always be determined by the individual mindset.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Thing Really Kicks Gas

Salt Lake City - Drive to Connect

Cold Windy Day, Less Driving Capacity